Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Antennas for Handhelds

As mentioned in the February 19 training, here is a post with additional details on the antennas used during the testing.

First, the Abbree tactical antenna:

I went to the manufacturer’s website but found it is not very functional as the links do not take you to pages with additional information. A search in Google using “Abbree tactical antenna” is a better way to find information and purchasing opportunities. There are several options available based on the frequency range, connector and length.

The version used for the test was the 42.5” 2m/70cm dual band foldable antenna with an SMA female connector, which is compatible with Baofeng radios. 

The second antenna used is a 15.6” 2m/70cm dual band whip antenna with a SMA female connector. There are many options available online by searching “whip antenna for [your radio manufacturer ]”. Expert Power and Nagoya are reputable brands, based on comments from Ham Radio You Tube channels, but the antenna tested was a Luiton 771, comparable in specifications to the Nagoya 771.

Both antennas increased my transit distance to repeaters, and improved simplex operation where topography obstructions were not a factor. 

Here’s my opinion: When I buy permanent replacement antennas for my handheld radios I will choose the long whip antenna. Even though the length is twice as long as the stock antennas, I felt the extra length was not a hindrance during every day use. Then, if I want even more gain during repeater or simplex operation I would switch to a longer Abbree antenna.

Remember to select the type of connector used on your radio as you research antenna options. For Baofeng it is generally going to be an SMA female connector.

Links:

Abbree Tactical Antenna: Amazon – dual band Abbree

Whip antenna: Amazon - Dual Band whip antenna