Thursday, October 21, 2021

Recap - ARES Exercise

My radio, AC power supply and backup antenna are portable, but that is only good if a commercial power source is available where I need to relocate. To counter a possible widespread loss of power, over the last month I have gathered up the parts to put together a backup power system and the ARES exercise was a good opportunity for a test - from the wilds of my backyard.

One plus is the radio I bought shortly after getting my ticket all those years ago has a built in TNC. This means I did not need additional hardware to get connected to a computer to send Winlink messages, it was just a matter of using the correct settings. A little more time with the communications section of the manual and I was able to get things working.

This configuration is not compatible with the VARA version of Winlink, which does require additional hardware, but using a laptop connected to my Kenwood TM-D700 pictured below I was able to send the damage assessment report while using emergency power making the exercise a success.