Sending data via radio transmission is something I have heard about since I became involved in the emergency communication aspect of amateur radio with the Storehouse Radio Net, but have not yet experienced first hand.
Through Cache County ARES I had the opportunity to watch an introductory Zoom meeting about Winlink - a global radio email client used to send data over radio frequencies - a program I would guess many of you already know of and possibly use.
Since my introduction to Winlink I have used the program to send email messages through telnet - a non-radio path across the internet. While I have a radio that can interface with a computer through a built-in TNC, my attempts to send such a message via radio transmission have been unsuccessful. I lack the understanding necessary to configure the computer soundcard to interface with my radio, and maybe I need additional hardware. I have not been able to figure it out on my own.
Good news, though. In the introductory Zoom meeting I heard about a training course covering all the information needed to get the right hardware and configure the equipment and send messages. The course is free, but does require you to enroll by creating a login and password, and consent to the terms of use for the presentation medium named Teachable.
I am excited to watch the training in the coming weeks in order to accomplish my goal of sending data via radio frequency transmission. If you are not using this aspect of amateur radio but are interested, I encourage you to watch the training sessions to see if it is something you would like to pursue. Follow this link to enroll for the training Winlink Basics for EmComm.
You can also view the training videos via Youtube, instead of registering for Teachable. Follow this link: Watch via YouTube.